Subject: Re: [Leica] One Day in School
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 12:12:36 -0700

"B. D. Colen" wrote:

> The problem with going downmarket with a 21 is that the distortion can be a
> killer. I make no bones about using non-Leica equipment, but I am also quick
> to say that when it comes to the 21, nothing begins to touch the M 21 ASPH -
> including the non-asph M 21 2.8. I have a 17-35 AF D Silent Wave for the
> Nikon, as well as a 20 1.8 Sigma AF - which is cheap as dirt. Both produce
> sharp, contrasty images. But both produce really marked, unpleasant
> distortion at the edges of the frame - while the 21 ASPH M does not.
>
> If you are going to shoot full-frame with the 21 for anything more serious
> than your own entertainment, I'd say plan on trying to find a used 21 ASPH.
>
> B. D.

BD you impudent swine we agree for once!!

Quality and nimble wide angle shooting is what Leica rangefinder
shooting is all about!!!!

Those folks with AF silent wave tele zooms are going to get shots our
90mm Elmarits. or Apo Asph's are not going to get.

But from a wide angle standpoint the smart quality was to go in a lot of
smart peoples eyes with Leica rangefinder.

Although my argument is blurred as the 90 apo Asph is introduced for the
R. I can focus automatically myself.
Don't need no micromotors.
It's just a groundglass and a tele lens go together like applesauce and
potato pancakes.
For wide angle just give me a frameline.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com