Subject: [Leica] Re: The Leica A
From: Vick Ko <vick.ko@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 23:11:10 -0400

I recently bought one, and had great suspicions that it was counterfeit.

Now, I think it is authentic, after consulting with some Leica experts
and with further investigation.

Here are my thoughts on the matter:

1)  prices range from $400 USD to $1600, depending on condition

2)  the camera is over 70 years old - and mine looked it.  If it looked
mint, then I would suspect its authenticity.
    Mine has lots of paint wear and much brassing.

3)  it is a very very simple camera - easy to CLA.  DAG or any of the
other reputable Leica repair people could service it.
    But replacement parts are likely difficult to find.

Things to look for:
1)  number of screws that hold the top plate on - 4 or 6 depending on age
2)  orientation of the 3 screws that are around the bottom plate - i.e.
one screw to the inside, versus one screw on the narrow ledge.
    I believe (hope?) both versions are authentic
3)  the release half-circular knob - some have the "bar" type
4)  serial number should be in the correct range
5)  rounded accessory shoe versus rectangular one; I think the A's have
the rounded shoe

As for the Leica bug- well - there really isn't a cure, other than
poverty  :-)

Happy hunting.

Vick