Subject: Re: [Leica] 90mm lenses -- Summicron or Elmarit?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 17:54:17 -0700

John Collier wrote:

> Why not consider a used 90/2.8 Elmarit-M. I have seen them as low as
> $600US. It is the best 90/2.8M and equal to the 90/2AA in performance.
>
> John Collier

A friend of mine got one for 4 something earlier this week here in Portland.
But equal in performance to the Summicron AA. John?!!!

Five years ago a well known French magazine called the Elmarit the
second sharpest lens existing in the universe among carbon based life
forms. Number one was some crazy Canon 180 2.8 or maybe a f2 for a hell
of a lot of money.

So even if the lens was not quite that good it's still pretty good and
check Erwins thing on it he says it's darn good but not up to par to the
latest and highest level of what Laika is cranking out now if i remember correctly.
http://www.imx.nl/

The Summicron AA on the other hand; is.

I have both lenses and use the both often; often at the some time or
alternately one on each of two bodies.

The feel and look of the Summicron is awesome. But when looking at my
shots is sure cant tell by looking at them which lens took which roll.
But I'm sure if I compared 20x24 prints there' d be a difference, very
slight perhaps.
I enjoy using the best lens there is. The Summicron AA is such a lens i
feel. Supremo. The Cat's Titanium pajamas.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com