Subject: [Leica] Yoichi Okamoto
From: "Oliver Bryk" <oliverbryk@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 16:21:56 -0700

I noticed the LUG conversation regarding Yoichi Okamoto's photographs in
the book, "LBJ". I first met Yoichi in Vienna in 1946 or 1947 where he
was a Signal Corps photographer on General Mark Clark's staff; we became
friendly. He married an Austrian. When I came to the US in 1952, I met
him again at an Embassy reception for Austrians in the Washington, DC
area, and after that we saw each other occasionally. He was a remarkable
craftsman with a camera and had a totally unobtrusive way of working,
just fading into the background. Yoichi inspired me to become a Signal
Corps photographer and cinematographer in 1953.
Oliver Bryk