Subject: Re: [Leica] Video slide shows
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 22:36:13 -0700

On Friday, Oct 25, 2002, at 21:42 America/Los_Angeles, Jim Laurel wrote:

> I'd be interested in hearing how you think Adrian's narrative audio
> track
> works with the mix of video & stills.

The narrative works well.  But to me, there's a problem with the
constant panning of the stills.  It almost induces motion sickness, the
viewpoint forever whizzing around, although it is, of course, very much
in keeping with contemporary ideas on video/photo presentation.

Perhaps more importantly, the stills are quite contemplative and
reflective in nature.  Constant viewpoint motion destroys this, in
addition to hindering the inherent beauty of the compositions as
photographs in their own right to be perceived by the viewer.

Perhaps a balance could be struck between a presentation acceptible to
a contemporary audience and the more reflective nature of the
photographs, both as examples of still photography, their contents, and
the style of the narration.

M.

- --
Martin Howard