Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW -- Criticism or Stroking?
From: "SonC \(Sonny Carter\)" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 15:26:28 -0600

The people who doggedly post a picture each week inspire me,  It takes
lots of courage for them to put their work here in front Leica
photographers, not to mention self-discipline to maintain those pages.
I admire everyone who posts.

That tenacity challenged me, and I started posting pictures myself.  I
am now up to 71 weeks.  Sometimes people say nice things about my
pictures, sometimes they seem to ignore them.   My website, (which is
primarily about the PAW) is at about 8000 visits a month or 66,000
hits.

I know he was not the originator of the idea, but it was Kyle Cassidy
who  asked the rhetorical question, "Do I deserve this camera?"

Here I was with several thousands of dollars worth of Leica gear and I
was shooting stuff that could have been shot with as you put it, "a
$70 point and shoot camera."

So why is the PAW an answer to Kyle's question for me?

I don't shoot or post pictures for the  strokes, or for the criticism.
I post them, on a schedule, to make sure that I get out there and take
pictures.  I do it so that I will take myself seriously when I go out,
knowing that I have a deadline, knowing that I expect to fill up
another years worth of shots.

 If you let me know you like a shot,  I'll appreciate it.  If you hate
something about it, and let me know that the shot misses the mark for
some technical or aesthetic reason, I'll appreciate it, but I will not
stop.

The picture of the week project mostly documenting my little part of
the earth has become an important part of my life, and I do it for me.

Sonny
http://www.sonc.com

> Subject: [Leica] PAW -- Criticism or Stroking?
>

> I'm new to posting, having been a "lurker" for quite awhile due to
my
> fear of
> weighing in on various issues and being torn apart (however well
> intentioned)
> by far more knowledgeable members of LUG. But there seems to be a
lack
> of,
> shall we say, intensity with respect to review and comment on PAWs.
I'll
> be
> blunt -- I've seen a large number of PAWs that are, at best,
mediocre,
> almost
> snapshots at a backyard barbeque that could have been taken with a
$70
> point
> and shoot camera. Yet, the comments for such works include things
like
> "great
> shot" or "wonderful image." Even allowing for differences in taste,
the
> feedback on the PAWs seems remarkably consistent, and overwhelmingly
> positive. Sure, its nice to encourage folks, and it isn't easy to
submit

> anything for public scrutiny, especially by the extremely talented
and
> knowledgeable people who contribute to this group on a regular
basis. I
> wouldn't submit my work because, quite frankly, I don't think it is
yet
> at a
> level where it should be shown, nay, inflicted on the general
public,
> let
> alone the experts here.
>
> Don't get me wrong, lots of PAWs are amazing -- almost life
transforming
> --
> but others, well, its almost like "point a Leica at it and submit
it."
> Should
> we all bite our tongues at the latter sort and keep silent, or offer
> encouraging "strokes," or should we be honest (but always
respectful)