Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW -- Criticism or Stroking?
From: "Corbeau" <corbeau@hekizan.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 22:23:26 -0800

At 07:24 PM 10/29/2002 -0400, you wrote:

>Corbeau writes:
>
> > For a true critical evaluation, you'd probably be better suited by a list
> > oriented to the type of photography in which you're interested rather than
> > one dedicated to a brand of equipment.  For example, I participate (mostly
> > lurk) on the Streetphoto list run by Johnny Deadman.  That list, with it's
> > narrow topical focus, offers very good criticism by many talented
> > photographers.
>
>That is an interesting observation about the Street Photo list. My weekly
>PAW is 100% Street Photography and the comments that I get from the LUG vs.
>SP groups are running at 4 to 1 in favor of the LUG. While I think that the
>SP group has a lot of interesting discussions there is very little
>discussion about photos posted by SP members, in fact I think there are more
>street photos posted here on the LUG and with more discussion.
>
>sl

I should have qualified that I meant _quality_ of criticism of all
selections.  IMO, you are correct about PAW's, they tend to get ignored on
the SP.  However, I would disagree with regards to other ad hoc selections,
it seems they always get a few detailed responses.  Then there's the Salon
and the upcoming Portfolio Review.

No offense intended but it may well be that the regulars on that list have
become acquainted with your style over time nd have nothing left to add
with respect to critique, good or bad.

C.