Subject: [Leica] Re. PAW -- Criticism or Stroking?
From: Carl Pultz <cpultz@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 23:39:13 -0500

Folks,

These mail lists are like a crowded room at a convention. There are a bunch
of people who've been in the club for a long time and have developed
relationships. They know each other's tastes and strengths or weaknesses,
sensitivities maybe, and present their criticisms and encouragements
accordingly.

Some of we newcomers are not so hip, so we stand in the corners awhile
getting to know who's who, trolling for gurus. Maybe find a few sympathetic
folks who share your interests or attitude about picture making. Or maybe
somebody comes forward who's aesthetics are totally different, but they
still like what they see in your work, or recognize a latent ability that
can be encouraged. Or, maybe you're just not yet practiced enough
technically or visually to benefit from criticism.

What I like about this forum is that aspect of becoming familiar with the
members and their photography. If someone says something about my work, I
have an idea of where he's coming from, and that's invaluable to
understanding criticism.

I do think some of the members are devoted to the classic "Leica" traits -
sharp, full scale, people pictures, decisive moments, B&W, bokeh. Others
are broader in their outlooks or more sympathetic to stuff that has other
concerns.

I'm on week 20 now, and it has been a good exercise, even when there is no
response from the LUG. I play loose with the rules. Photos aren't always
taken the previous week. I like to group photos to tell a story somehow or
to explore visual/subject interrelationships, and often wait until I have
the shots I need and a little essay falls into place. It's the idea that a
lone "great" photo isn't all the medium is about. A series of decent,
informative shots can, when artfully put together, say more than the one
masterpiece.

I'm always serious about the PAW, even when the photos are light-hearted;
always trying to find ways to say something, admittedly at the risk of
being pretentious or totally failing, and always hope for a response,
negative or whatever. I think everybody who posts is serious in their own
way. To others, I only offer criticism if I think I have something
constructive to say or if the work deserves a "wow" and no one else has
said it yet.

This is a really good thread, and thanks for all the thoughtful discussion
- - Per Claesson's contribution
particularly - and the sillyness, too.

Carl