Subject: [Leica] Amateur vs Professional (long)
From: "Gene" <sop@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 21:25:41 -0800

If you go to the dictionary you will see that the first definition of
amateur refers to someone that engages in the pursuit of something as a
pastime rather then as a profession. Unfortunately the second definition
addresses someone that is lacking in experience and competence in an art or
science.

Under professional you will find the first definition to be a charastic of a
profession or one who conforms to the technical or ethical standards of a
profession. The second definition refers to participating for gain or
livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor oftern engaged in by
amateurs. (~golfers) The third definition is interesting: "following a line
of conduct as though it were a profession."

And if you go to the dictionary of marketing: "Professional: The word you
use when you want to sell more of your widgets to the dumb public."

Let me appologize to those reading this, whose primary language is not
English. We confuse ourselves, so how can we expect you to understand.

Let's apply this to photography and see where we go. Is a Leica a
professional camera? NO! Is it used as a tool by professional photographers?
Yes, but so is a Holga.

Is a photographer that sells one of his pictures suddenly a professional. I
don't think so. The reason that the photographer took the picture was out of
his/her passion for photography. The sale was a fortunate byproduct.

Is the photographer that shoots a friends wedding a professional. No, just a
nice guy/gal or a fool depending on your outlook. But is a photographer that
enjoys shooting people pictures, that has a full time job in some other
activity, that sets out to attract wedding clients and get paid, a
professional? Yup! It's the motive. If you are in the USA, just check out
the IRS literature if you need a definition.

Does a professional take better pictures than an amateur? Regardless of the
second definition of amateur, I say the answer is NO. The motive is the
defining difference between amateur and professional. One does it for gain,
the other for love. This is not to say that most professional photographers
don't love their work The professional has the advantage over the amateur in
that (s)he is most likely puttting more film through the camera and
therefore getting more practice. The professional also can justify tool
purchases easier then the amateur. After all, they pay for themselves. Based
on these factors, the pro may get more keepers from a roll then the amateur.
But then, if they don't, they become former professional photographers.

So if anybody would like a certificate, suitable for framing, and a years
membership in the International Amateur Proctologist Socitey, send USD $69

Next week: Photography - art or science?

Gene

Message from "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl> (Re: [Leica] Holiday pictures and pros v amateurs.)