Subject: Re: [Leica] Comments on portraits, please
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 11:27:36 -0600

langhanslanghans@compwrx.com (langhans)10/31/025:12 PM

>http://168.212.133.189/wwwpages/senior/

I'm not a fan of "soft focus" especially to the degree illustrated in your examples, and espcially for the young whose skin usually doesn't require such "tricks". I believe that portrait photography depends a great deal on lighting and I find your lighting too flat and boring to bring our the beauty of the human head (Although every rule needs breaking and I have an extremely flatly lit portrait on my own portrait web page which I like especially for it's flatness and how that works with other elements in the photo). I also find the backgrounds to not add anything much to the portraits.

Where am I coming from in my own approach to portraiture?
<http://www.imagist.com/photo/pg7_portrait.html>

You'll notice in the first and main example on this page that the hair really blew out in the scan. I need to get back at that one or find a scanner with the ability to capture the contrast range of the film.