Subject: Re. [Leica] PAWs - Shameless family snapshots OR Serious Portraits
From: Carl Pultz <cpultz@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 00:49:07 -0500

Tom,

That is a lovely family you have, and you have made better than the average
family snaps to represent them. Steven looks a bit unsure of things, but
shows character, and Claire and Margaret are both pictured very well. Margo
has the soft eyes of a contentedly at home with the pack sort of beast.
They are all comfortable before your lens rather than oppressed and
intimidated.

The tonal qualities of the shots are very good on my monitor. There's a
great glow and sparkle to #2 in lighting that could as easily turned out
harsh.  1 and 3 are not as distinguished in that regard, but the way you
have dealt with the less interesting light is good anyway.

What each of these shots lack is a degree of compositional refinement. I
think you are a bit too close in #2 - Margaret's head is too centered, I
want to see more of the paper or the maybe the way she places her feet or
crosses her legs - and Steven's expression calls for a high POV, a looming
above that would make that hint of fright more understandable, more dramatic.

There are other solutions and other circumstances, but with more attention
to formalities of composition (not formulas!), your shots would be very
fine. You have the exposure technique down and certainly great subject matter.

Someone, writing in defense of family photos, pointed out that many renown
photographers used their families and friends for subjects. Provocatively,
Steichen and Weston. Calahan's wife and baby appears in some of his seminal
images. There's a lot to be learned in their work. Eggleston, that master
of the off beat who I revere, when people are present, seems to have
pictured mostly the people in his life, often in the most ordinary, prosaic
ways, yet there is a magic.

Pictures needn't be shocking or archly weird or contrived to justify family
shots as artistic works. Capturing character and depth might come most
naturally with one's closest companions. Why not?

Anyway, I mean to say you can be on your way to making fine things.

Carl

Replies: Reply from "Tom Smart" <tom@sleepytom.com> (Re: Re. [Leica] PAWs - Shameless family snapshots OR Serious Portraits)