Subject: RE: [Leica] Reformulated Tri-X?
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 18:16:53 -0700

Here is some info on the "new" Tri-X from the LF List yesterday (in response
to some polemics about Kodak and Tri-x:

(you can read the thread at:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=003xkT

My company is about 2 miles from where that stuff is made. I know most of
those
guys over there in Professional Imaging.  Kodak is simply updating the
manufacturing facility for black and white materials

Anyway, there are lots of misconceptions going around about the "new" Tri-X
I'll address here. The film emulsion isn't new at all by the way, just the
facility where they'll be making it.

1) The Tri-X isn't out yet. If anyone says they've used it, they're lying.
35mm
samples are being given out, but the guys in PI don't even know what the new
sheet film packaging looks like yet! B&H might be selling "gray market"
stuff
like those gray market Pentax spotmeters they're selling. Or they don't know
what they're talking about, which is more likely. Inconsequential anyway -
none
of the new stuff is out yet.

2) The response characteristics and new development times of the new T-Max
and
Plus-X films made at the new facility - which are available now - differ by
less than 5 per cent! Almost beyond notice. I'm going to compare the old and
new data sheets but 5 per cent is pretty close.

3) Kodak is beyond peer in their quality control. I haven't noticed a change
in
Tri-X in 25 years. None. The stuff made at the new facility will probably
have
similar changes - unnoticeable. If there is something that bothers you,
adjust
slightly.

4) Tri-X is a gold mine for that company. Why do you think they are taking
so
long to get it right? -- to upset people and have them switch brands? To
change
that film would be a major mistake and they are much too conservative and
intelligent for that.

6) Kodak is doing this for you, not them. They could leave the old facility
intact and the quality of all the B&W films would steadily decline over the
next five years, and they would make more profits. But they are implementing
modern, very expensive coating facility instead.