Subject: Re: [Leica] New Photos Online- inspired by Jim Laurel
From: Per Claesson <per@visimedia.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 09:20:10 +0100

> Peter,
>
> I was intrigued by this shot:
>
> The composition is almost there, except the first dog in the bottom
> left is partially cut off. I think if you had tilted the camera down
> and to the left a little, you would have had a stronger image.
>
> I am also curious as to what is going on in the picture--who are these
> people, what is the man next to the fire looking at, etc.

Incidentally, I happened to walk by at exactly that place in Kathmandu
in 1988, and that very image is still vivid in my memory.

The picture is from central Kathmandu, probably taken from a bridge,
and it shows how they burn the dead (the burning bundle is a body). If
I am not mistaken about the location, the doorways to the right lead to
small alchoves where people can spend their last days before dying.
This I heard from a local monk who showed me around. He also told me
some curious "insider information": The relatives of the dying person
have to pay a certain "rent" for that "waiting room". Occasionally it
happens that the old person refuses to die, which makes it costly for
the family. In those instances you can order a special, probably highly
unofficial, service, where the old person is moved down to the water
with some limb left dipped into the water. Then they will quickly catch
a cold or whatever and the waiting time will be shortened.

Can't verify those facts, though, but that's the story I heard from
that local person.

Per