Subject: Re: [Leica] R lens.....to rom or not to rom.
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 06:37:16 +0100

Henry,

There is no disadvantage to the ROM lenses of the type you describe. The
only major implication of ROM lenses is that you cannot use them on the
Leicaflex SL or SL2. If you think that you may one day want to get one
of those, then buy 3-cam lenses; if you are 100% sure that an SL/SL2 is
not in your future, then it makes more sense to buy ROM lenses, since
the ROM may provide some functionality in future R models. Right now,
all it does is adjusts the focal length on certain Metz flashes
automatically, but Leica always hints at some future improvements.

Nathan

Henry Ting wrote:

> In view of the fact that the rom and the 3-cam non-rom
> versions can be equally used on my R6.2, is there a
> major difference between the 2 ?
> I have a chance of getting either versions with the
> same price, but I'd like to know due to incorporating
> more features for the rom version, is it inferior to
> the non-roms in terms of build-quality and complexity
> (sort of robbing Peter to pay Paul).

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland