Subject: Re: [Leica] lost mail
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 07:45:21 -0800

> I am sure a local L-U member can go and give the responsible parties a near death experience that just may be the salvation of them.

Ah, I wish.
The problem is, as usual, more complex than that.
Sending spam is against the law in some places, and against ISP contracts almost everywhere. Therefore the senders of spam always use stolen computer access to send it.

Through the years I have allowed various groups to use my server computers for noncommercial purposes. About 5 years ago I let the local school board set up a houosing exchange for teachers on my computers. Their lawyer wouldn't let them do it on official computers, but they knew it would be easier to recruit teachers to this expensive town if they provided such a service. So I leet them provide it on my computers.

Some spamming company found a security flaw in the teacher housing exchange software, and used it to send junk mail to millions of people. The people who need to have their bone structure rearranged are the people who are sending the spam, not the people whose innocent mistake enabled that sending.