Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Lenswork Magazine
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 22:24:57 -0500

Like any other documentary photographer, Salgado sets out to examine,
and document, a particular human situation. Certainly his politics
direct his selection of subject matter. The question, though, is not
does he set out to record human misery in order to prod us toward doing
something about it, but does he record it as he finds it? Does he give
us an accurate picture of it?

And, btw, while Salgado may record human misery, I would disagree with
the contention that human misery is his subject almost exclusively.
Certainly the poor of the world are his subjects almost exclusively, but
he records many moments of joy, satisfaction, normal human interactions,
and not just misery.

B. D.