Subject: Re: [Leica] Progaganda or no?
From: Matthew Powell <mlpowell@directvinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 15:50:34 -0600

On Sunday, November 10, 2002, at 03:26 PM, Martin Howard wrote:
> My on-line dictionary (American Heritage through Sherlock in OS X.2)
> defines the following terms:
>
> Propaganda, (n): 1. The systematic propagation of a doctrine or cause
> or of information reflecting the views and interests of those
> advocating such a doctrine or cause. 2. Material disseminated by the
> advocates or opponents of a doctrine or cause: wartime propaganda.

Isn't this a fairly new definition? I've always believed that propaganda
originated as a fairly value-neutral term - but after World War II, with
the Nazi reliance on a Minister OF Propaganda, we began associating it
with a negative connotation.

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com> (Re: [Leica] Progaganda or no?)