Subject: Re: [Leica] Progaganda or no?
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 15:29:11 -0800

On Sunday, Nov 10, 2002, at 15:08 America/Los_Angeles, James A. Gatlin
wrote:

> I don't think having your work called propaganda is a compliment by any
> standards.

True, provided we limit "any standard" to include only those in effect
in the US and/or Western Europe and this day and age...  But I think
that within the Roman Catholic Church around 1600, in Stalinesque
Soviet, or in psych warfare branches of the US Military during the
Vietnam War (to take three examples), "propaganda" did have positive
connotations.  That, however, does not change the definition of the
word.

M.

- --
Martin Howard