Subject: [Leica] More quick comments on a Noctilux
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 11:44:04 -0700

So far so good, while you certainly would not call it a light or petit
lens, it is also not the gargantuan that it is often made out to be.
Optical quality is good wide open with medium contrast. Stopped down it
matches – used handheld with fast film – the quality of the Summicron
and Summilux. I would probably notice differences if I used a tripod
but why test for something I never do? Focusing is slow and ponderous
so I pre-focus at a likely spot and wait for the action to unfold. When
it does a quick tweak is all that is required.

If you do get one, get an older version with a separate hood. If you
can only find one with the built-in hood, it is very simple for a
camera repair tech to remove the built in hood. The lens is very
resistant to flare and you can use a cap (get a Nikon E58 one) for
protection between shots. The front element is recessed more than than
the Summilux and Summicron. This is done to control nasty skew rays and
is the reason the Nocti vignettes strongly wide open. It also helps to
keep the front element out of harms way.

While a Noctilux is a great normal lens, the only reason to get and
keep a Noctilux is  that you like and use, at least occasionally, its
wide open performance. If you do not need its razor thin DOF then a
Summilux with film pushed one stop makes more sense. I have not decided
for sure as to whether I will keep it or get a Summilux. I often shoot
in low light situations and the extra stop has been handy; but, does
THAT look get a little tiresome after a while? I will keep you posted.

John Collier