Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Lenswork Magazine
From: DFangon@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 13:30:13 EST

Hi Jim.

Thank you very much for your post.  You may have solved the puzzle for me.
Everybody simply assumed that Dorothea Lange's advice was from the point of
view of the photographer - when taking the picture - perhaps even Gibson did.
 What you are saying is that the "point of departure" is in the photograph
itself, perhaps even from the viewer's point of view, not the photographer's.

But, and this is a big but, how do you reconcile your thesis with Ms. Lange's
own explanation of what she meant by "point of departure?"  In the Lenswork
Gibson interview, he asked Ms. Lange what she meant and her cryptic answer
was: "  Well, if you go down to the drugstore to buy toothpaste, the
possibility of encountering a serious event is far greater than if you just
stand on the street corner waiting for something to happen."

Dante

In a message dated 11/11/02 4:56:55 PM Pacific Standard Time,