Subject: RE: [Leica] PAW: Early Snow in Montreal - now R lenses on EOS
From: "Phong" <phong@doan-ltd.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 21:20:03 -0500

Tina,

Thank you for the very kind words.
Yes, I used an R lens with the Canon D30.  I have just
started doing so, so haven't had much experience.
I basically slapped on a lens adapter.  B&H sells a version
from Novoflex:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh3.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___220121___NOLALCAF___REG___CatID=22___S
ID=F15DCCA4330
which at $150 is not cheap.

You lose autofocus of course, and manual focus is not
great on this body.  Also the lens stays stopped down, so
you have to open up to focus, then stop down to the
desired aperture.   Metering works (manual and aperture-priority
mode).  I haven't tried TTL flash yet, so am unsure how that works.
Lenses that protrude far into the body won't work; I was told that
the 19mm won't work   :-(.    At this point the setup is more of a
novelty than a practical solution; but it's very close.  It works well
enough in daylight landscape photography.  I need to
fix the manual focus problem first.  I have been thinking of getting
the 1D and I heard that manual focus there is much better.  I was
at a photo show this past Sunday, and tested out and yes it is
quite an improvement.  However, the lights were bright at the show,
so I couldn't test in low light.  Another possibility is to get a viewer
magnifyer; Canon makes a couple of them.  I do have not any
experience with them, nor have I heard of anyone else's experience.

Hope I answered your questions.

- - Phong