Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Winter up there - was Shoot more! - was LensworkMagazine
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 20:12:37 -0800

Jim Hemenway responded:
> Doesn't sound very appealing to me at all Nathan... the winter that is.
>
> I can imagine the daily weather forecast:
>
> "Well Good Morning folks, it's 7 AM and darker than the inside of your
> pocket at midnight. We'll have a great big 5 hours of daylight today
> with the sun kissing the horizon.  That'll be followed by hours and
> hours of gloomy dark... and we'll probably get some snow and/or cold
> rain."
>
> As Michael E. Bérubé says,  "Carpe Luminem."   He lives way up there in
> Maine.<<<<

Hell,   Michael's just a real southern boy when it comes to the land of
winter and darknesss, cold and freezing your butt off! ;-)  How about you
get up in the dark, the sky acquires a somewhat slight light glow to the
south about noon and then fades to black  an hour later and you go back to
bed again. :-)

However, as one reaches the longest days ( around the 21st of June) it never
gets dark and you can pump your Leica 29 hours a day for what seems like
forever with no loss of light and you find a different meaning to the
"Longest Day!" :-) :-)

It's a horror story at times in relation to the time of  year doing a shoot
in the arctic or high northern hemisphere of the planet because at certain
times of the time you're working at f 1.0 or you have no excuse but to use
flash of some kind.  Or it's wall to wall light 24 hours ad infinitum and
you shoot all the time by daylight or some sort of sunlight! :-)

If you've never experienced this, "all light or all dark,"  it's quite an
interesting phenomenon ... "all darkness or all all light" ..... You can go
three days or longer without thinking of bed/sleep as long as there's action
going. By the same token the darkened season is; slowly get up, kind of wake
up, have something to eat, do some pictures and then go back to sleep
because it's dark like night and time to go to sleep! :-)

It's like, "who said bears are the only animals to hibernate?" ;-)

However, good, bad or ugly it's an experince worth enjoying!

ted

Message from Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Winter up there - was Shoot more! - was Lenswork Magazine)
Message from Jim Hemenway <Jim@hemenway.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Winter up there - was Shoot more! - was LensworkMagazine)