Subject: Re: [Leica] Smiley
From: Carl Pultz <cpultz@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 00:27:06 -0500

Jim wrote:

Carl:
Great... I thought that you were ticked off at me.
BTW I've enjoyed your photos of lonely towns in upstate New York. They
remind me of a trip my family took from Boston to Niagara Falls almost
50 years ago in an old, gray, two-door, 1947 Plymouth.
It took 2-3 days... there was no Thruway and we spent an unending day or
so traveling slowly on a very straight, very long, 2 lane highway
through some place named Cherry Valley.... seemed something like the
Twilight Zone as there was a seemingly unending row of cherry trees, on
both sides for miles and miles and miles. Some rock n roll would have
helped... maybe Fats Domino singing Blueberry Hill. But we were too far
from any radio station and my folks wouldn't have wanted to hear it
anymore than I now want to listen to Rap. Anyway, we occasionally went
through towns with buildings like those in your photos. They were just
as worn out looking then.
Are you anywhere near the route of the Thruway between Syracuse and
Buffalo? There are a few places where the Erie Canal still exists...
well the ruins of it. Might be a good subject for you. I'm imagining
icicles hanging off of granite walls and old wooden locks, with maybe
three pink flamingos somewhere in the photo. You could do this after
you finish your bare trees project! :>)
Jim "in the sunshine now, but unhappily awaiting tomorrow's wintry mix,"
_____________________________

Jim,

Thank you for the kind note. No, not ticked at all. If you were ribbing me,
I can take it, and learn from it.

Your trip long ago was probably on Rt 5 across New York. I think the Cherry
Valley is somewhere between Utica and Syracuse, but I'm not too familiar
that region. Ernie is in Syracuse, so he can probably correct me. That is a
beautiful drive. Not spectacular as the Sierras must be, or any of the big
country out west, but charming in it's way. But, it must have seemed an
endless drive back then.

I live about two blocks from the Erie Canal, in Rochester, home of Kodak.
It's the enlarged canal completed in 1918, so it often takes a different
route than the original Clinton's Ditch, which ran right through the center
of the cities across Upstate. Still runs from Albany to Buffalo. In the
summer, I like to ride my bike along it out into the suburbs. Here's a
picture I took in July, about 8 AM, when it was around 75 degrees and hazy.
http://quazynet.no-ip.org/PAW/temp/Canal.htm

There are many remnants of the old structures around. It would be a great
project to photograph them, and many good people have. In fact, yesterday I
was checking out some locks that were part of the Genesee Valley canal,
forty miles south of here, but the light wasn't right for photos. They were
right next to the road, and pretty well preserved, being so far from the
city. All the wood is long gone, but the hand cut stone walls are still
there. That's one of the tons of things I want to do if I can just make it
through the winter.

Yeah, flamingos. I like it!

Carl "wishing for sunshine again" Pultz

Replies: Reply from Jim Hemenway <Jim@hemenway.com> (Re: [Leica] Abandoned buildings)