Subject: Re: [Leica] OT - Rollei 35
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 10:20:19 +0100

Hi Henry,

I went through several pocketable cameras in the past few years: Ricoh
GR1, Olympus Mju 2, Leica Minilux, even attempted to carry a IIIf around
(that is stretching the definition of pocketability), and have finally
settled on Rollei 35S for that purpose. It is indeed a wonderful little
camera, and I could not be happier with it. It uses the mercury
batteries, of which I have a stash, but which are no longer produced,
but there are solutions to that, either with a conversion, a Criscam
adapter, or the Wein cells. So that should not hold you back.

As for the different models, I would recommend that you look for one
with a 2.8 Sonnar, which means S or SE. The Singapore vs. Germany debate
is just as meaningless as the Leica quarrels about Canada vs. Portugal
vs. Germany. They are equally good in use, and the only people for whom
the Made in Germany label is important are the collectors. Do not pay
collector prices for a camera you want to use.

If you want to see some examples of my Rollei 35 in use, check out my
London photos:
http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=214680

and also several PAWs I have posted this year that were made with it:
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_2.jpg
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_2alt1.jpg
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_6alt1.jpg
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_7.jpg
http://www.wajsman.com/2002_7alt1.jpg

Nathan

Henry Ting wrote:
> Being a Leica user, I never owned a Rollei 35 and yet
> people who use it, vouch for its small size and the
> quality image it can produce. Can someone
> knowledgeable throw some light on the Rollie 35?
> Apparently there are differences between 35, 35S,
> Tesser, Xenon lens as well as German and Singapore
> manufactured Rolleis.

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland