Subject: RE: [Leica] Ah, kids!
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 10:43:45 -0500

She and son Ben both graduated from there in the Tufts BFA program. They
liked it. As a parent, I both liked it and have real problems with it.
For a kid looking for a traditional college experience combined with an
art education, it's a disaster - the preponderance of students are
older, there is no "campus," there is no "student life," there are no
real "student activities."

For a student who needs direction, it's a disaster - Except for the
Tufts part of the program - the traditional academics - there are NO
required courses of any kind, and NO grades of any kind. Students take
what they want in the visual arts, and at the end of each semester have
a portfolio review in each course, the reviewers being a small group of
faculty and students. They give either "credit, partial credit, or no
credit," basically on the amount of work and effort expended. It's
extreeeeemly loosey goosey. This means that if a kid needs some
direction, he/she will probably fail miserably. It also means that a kid
can graduate planning to be a  photographer with gaping holes in his or
her background.

And my last complaint is that there is absolutely NO preparation for
surviving in the "art world." There are no provisions for giving these
kids reality checks, for teaching them about grant preparation, etc.
etc. etc.

All of that said, there are some wonderful instructors, wonderful
courses, and terrifically talented students. Ben was a TA for several
semesters for Bill Burke, the very "out there" documentary photographer
and portraitist. And you can't ask for much more than that, especially
as he now has a long-term relationship with Burke, who is his mentor.
Alicia worked with Jim Dowd (sp), the guy who did the book of baseball
parks, among other things, and learned allot about color, lighting, etc.
So both the kids certainly came away with inspiration and skills. But,
that said, Ben also got into Carnegie Mellon, and as a Dad, I wish the
hell he'd gone there..:-)