Subject: [Leica] Re: Digital darkroom - a quality equalizer?
From: "Douglas Herr"<telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 08:52:16 -0800

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 11:40:54 -0500 Jeffrey Fass <happy.eyeball@verizon.net>
wrote:

> So people say that with digital cameras quality
> is equalized to a degree, the weakest link in
> the chain with low-pass filters, off-axis light
> problems, algortithms, etc. Doesn't digital
> processing of film tend to do the same damage?

There is going to be some loss of image quality however the image is
transferred from the neg (or chrome) to the print, whether analog or digital.
Some workflows introduce more problems than others but regardless of the
particulars of the workflow the best results come from doing your best work at
each step of the way ... and that includes the initial exposure with Leica
(on-topic) glass.  In 4000dpi scans I see clear differences between
well-supported and hand-held photos, between Leica-made and Other Brand
chromes, and between Leica APO and Leica non-APO pictures.  Good quality work
requires good craftmanship at each step of the way, regardless of the
workflow.

Doug Herr<BR>Birdman of Sacramento<BR>http://www.wildlightphoto.com