Subject: Re: [Leica] 100 macro 1:1 adaptor -- old vs new
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 04:57:29 -0800

on 11/20/02 12:05 AM, Henry Ting at henryting10@yahoo.com wrote:

> I have an old 1:1 adaptor dedicated for the old R 100
> f4 macro lens. But the aperature ring on the adpator
> only turns to f4.
> My question is, considering that one would never use
> f2.8 in conjunction with the 1:1 adaptor due to
> shallow DOF, could this old adaptor be used for the
> new APO 100 2.8 ?

The f/4 position on the aperture ring of the adapter tells the SL/SL2 and R
meter that the lens is at full aperture - nothing more.  From this
perspective there's nothing wrong with using the adapter on any lens.  Of
course the aperture readout in the viewfinder will be incorrect if the lens
isn't f/4 to begin with.

There are other considerations, though.  If this adapter is anything like
the 14198 dedicated 1:1 adapter for the 60mm macro lens (and I suspect it
is) the adapter has a mechanical lock-out that prevents any lens other than
the 100 f/4 from being used.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com