Subject: Re: [Leica] Swimming!
From: "Will" <wlarsen@ocsnet.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 13:24:39 -0800

Dan (DRB) writes:
| I have a few pics to show -- comments and suggestions
appreciated!

| http://www.drbphoto.com/leica/l2/
|
| I'm especially interested in how other photographers might
cover this event.
| Swim meets are pretty boring - you get cliche pictures
(like these) and they
| all end up looking the same.  The crowd was non-existant,
the coaches
| lukewarm, and the other swimmers preoccupied with work (it
is, after all,
| MIT).  Without the benefit of an Ikelite housing, how
would you spice up the
| assignment?

You mention you were on assignment.  From whom?  I am little
bit concerned about your attitude in approaching the event.
Swim meets are not boring to the competitors.  Cliché
pictures are because swimming is pretty much a ritualized
event - same take off  - same strokes - efficiency of the
process and strength determines the winner.  The only real
thing you can do is experiment with pixes from different
angles.

But my main concern is that when I was in J-school (many
year ago) - they pounded into our heads that "names make
news."   Names meant the names of local folks.  Pixes were
pixes of local folks.  The local and small regional
newspapers that survive today make good use of that motto.
Several photographers from a regional newspaper thought they
were grossly underpaid and under appreciated.  They quit the
newspaper and set up a business to take pixes of local (high
school and college) games.  They are currently making a good
living selling these pixes to the parents of the
participants.  When I worked for the L.A. Times, they were
delighted to give folks an 8x10 of their pix which had been
published in the paper.

The point is that while this type of pix might not win you a
big award, they are very important to the competitors.
Plus, if you really want to have fun, start interviewing the
competitors and taking pixes.  (The other thing that was
banged into my head in J-school was that everybody has a
story - it is the presentation that makes it interesting).

Regards, Will Larsen

Replies: Reply from drb@MIT.EDU (Re: [Leica] Swimming!)