Subject: RE: [Leica] Foveon
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 18:23:41 -0500

Hi Carl,

> I've been meaning to inquire: what's the word on the Foveon sensors. Are
> they living up to the hype?

I don't know, there is VERY VERY little press on it, and NO full size
examples, that I've been able to find.  Not much of anyone is actually
talking about it...so my guess is they are having problems
delivering/releasing.

> If it is a breakthough, do you think
> we'll see
> it used much or are most major camera makers too commited to the the
> standard CCD to make the switch.

It's a concept that has been around long before Foveon.  There are many
technical issues that may prevent it from "really" working, but the
definition of "working" is highly subjective.

> Personally, I hope to see it applied to film scanners.

The resolution will never be near that of a typical linear sensor.  It
wouldn't be a scanner then either ;-)

Regards,

Austin

Replies: Reply from Craig Schroeder <craig@craigschroeder.com> (Re: [Leica] Foveon)