Subject: Re: [Leica] Rapid Grip
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 21:34:32 -0800

Christopher Williams wrote:

> John Collier was kind enough to send his chrome M6 RapidWinder on a tour of
> the US. Last week I was able to try it out. Chrome winder on a black M6,
> chrome lens. Is that allowed?
>
> I found the RapidWinder very easy to use, surprised that it did not add that
> much weight. High quality build, fits the M6 perfect. If only I could see
> spending that much money on a winder.
>
> Again, thanks to Jon Collier for the loan. --I admit keeping it a extra week
> to use it for a wedding.
>
> Chris Williams
> New Orleans

I have 2 M6's an older "classic" and the newer TTL and each one right
now has a Rapidwinder on it although both are black. One is shiny black
and the other, the Rapidwinder II is matt black. I think they add
balance to the cameras especially with one of the bigger heavier lenses
like the 90 SA or Noctilux.

I have to say though that although I'm using the Rapidwinders 99% of the
time i do appreciate having motor driven winders to use when the
situations seem suitable and there are such situations. I have the older
Leica winder M and the much more compact newer one with the built in
grip.

There is a uneasy at first sensation of the button bouncing back into my
finger but i would not say it causes a recoil into the whole camera and
I'll have to say that i bet i get smoother shots with the motor winder
than without.

If one was walking more than 20 miles in a day then one could live
without and winders I'm sure.

But as far as motors go its nice to be able to focus and hold the camera
in one hand and blast repeatedly away.
Also there is an unobtrusive aspect to the motors as you're not making
that added motion with each shot. From across the street they'd not know
you were shooting,

By the way i tested the Nikon MD-12 motor drive right next to the Leica
drives and the Nikon drive although having a smoother non bouncy shutter
button was twice as loud as the Leica motor winders.
The Rapidwinder is quite a bit quieter than either.

It's the batteries which make all the noise!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com

Message from "Christopher Williams" <leicachris@worldnet.att.net> (Re: [Leica] Rapid Grip)