Subject: Re: [Leica] Wedding Photography
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 13:59:48 +0100

I will chime in, somewhat belatedly. I have done exactly one wedding as
the sole responsible photographer, and I did not get paid for it, so
take it as a lucky experience, but it was very pleasant actually. The
couple were two Americans in their early 50s, living in the Netherlands,
and it was the second marriage for both. They were friends of mine,
familiar with my work, and not interested in a traditional wedding
album. But they did have a lot of friends and family coming over from
the U.S. to attend, so they did want it documented. So they asked me if
I would do it and offered to pay me. It should be noted that either way
I would have attended the wedding. So I said yes, refused payment (this
way I did not have to worry about what to buy them as a present...) and
explained that it would be B&W, reportage-style, high-speed film etc. I
showed them some examples of my work of that type, and they liked it.
The ceremony was held in a nice (but dim) old town hall in a small Dutch
town, I had spoken with the mayor who was conducting it and he let me do
whatever I wanted, and I shot maybe 3-4 rolls during the ceremony and at
the reception that followed. A couple of weeks later I presented the
couple with an album containing around 30 images, and they were
absolutely thrileed with it.

Nathan

Ted Grant wrote:

> Justin lad,
> There isn't anything worse than shooting weddings no matter how much you
> talk to the bride and groom before hand, simply because there are two women,
> who no matter how much they are in any prior conversation will create more
> havoc, confusion, tears, and ulcers for the photo crew, they are, you
> guessed it....  the mother's of the bride and groom.
>
> In particular the mother of the bride, god forbid should be banned from all
> weddings, period! :-)
>

>>>Weddings are one of the most important events in peoples lives, <<<
>>

> Heck even for those who've done it a few times for practice before they get
> it right! ;-)
>
> However, even then it doesn't make any difference as there are drunks,
> relatives who do stupid things and the list goes on, including a different
> mother of the bride each time for those who didn't get it right and quite
> possibly never will after a half dozen times! :-) :-)
>
> Lets just say, until you try to shoot one yourself will you understand how
> wonderful it is in the middle of Afghanistan shooting a war compared to
> shooting a wedding! :-)

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland