Subject: RE: [Leica] Foveon
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 14:56:35 -0500

Jeffrey,

This is a difficult thing to do on the web.  You're looking at 96DPI web
images...which is really not that conducive to most aspects of image
comparison, except, obviously, composition.  It's hard to tell if the faults
with the images I looked at are the fault of the camera, the camera
operator, file format, or post processing of the images.  On 0032mp.jpg, the
shadows are completely blocked.  Don't get me wrong, these are OK images,
but they do have faults, and the source of the faults is important if you
are evaluating these images compared to film.  This is why I like to do any
image analysis like this with raw images...but with the Foveon, you can't,
as they decided to make up their own special raw file format.  Possibly, it
may be able to put out uncompressed TIFF files, but I haven't seen anyone
post any.

Serious question, and not meant in any way, shape or form to be
demeaning...but why are you shooting with a Leica if something like the
Foveon gives you (you believe, from viewing these web images) the image
quality you "want"...enough to "WOW" you?

Regards,

Austin