Subject: RE: [Leica] Two weddings and a few portraits.
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 17:16:29 -0500

I think it's being set up matters, in the sense that setting up - posing
- - a photo, and taking a photo of something occurring "naturally," are
really two different things, requiring two different skill sets.
Clearly, Smith had both - skill sets. But there are people - many of
them terrific photographers - who really don't. Some people need to
conceive of something they want to photograph, set it up, and shoot it -
and some either can't do that, or don't want to, but have the ability to
see that which most people don't, and capture it on film.

In some respects, the Walk to Paradise is no different than an
advertising shot - captivating, yes, but carefully contrived to
captivate. I'm not saying that's "bad" - I'm just saying we should
recognize it for what it is.

BTW, I love it....:-)