Subject: Re: [Leica] Tilt-all history (was Parts Problem)
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 12:14:50 -0500

- --On Tuesday, November 26, 2002 01:00:08 AM -0500 Stan Yoder
<vze2myh5@verizon.net> wrote:

> I understood that the story went like this: when the Marchioni brothers
> (of NJ) died, the widows EACH sold the production rights, one to Leitz
> USA, the other to Davidson/Star-D, which at the time was an American
> firm.  But that may be partly apocryphal. Leitz USA published a pamphlet
> on the Tiltall that states that it approached the brothers in 1973 about
> an "affiliation." The brothers then decided to retire from tripod
> production, Leitz moved their machinery to Rockleigh NJ, and the brothers
> trained the Leitz staff. It could be, then, that Leitz subsequently (what
> year?) sold the Tiltall to the entrepreneur who owned Star-D. OR, maybe
> the story is partially correct after all, and Davidson was producing its
> version concurrently (but after the bros. died?)
>
>  The Star-D could be had in at least two models, the better/best of which
> (the "Professional") had the brass collets in the leglocks, like the
> original. I own (and prize) one of these and the only difference I can
> detect is that the two tilt handles have black plastic grips rather than
> the aluminum knobs of the Marchioni bros. original. Otherwise, built like
> the proverbial brick s---house, and NOT lightweight. Sturdy is as sturdy
> does.
>
> I dunno about the current Tiltall, having neither seen nor handled one.
> I've heard that it's not made like the older ones. "They don't build 'em
> like they useter, Horace!" :-)
>
> Can anyone shed conclusive light on this history?

The Star-D and the Leitz branded Tiltall were definitely produced
concurrently. The Star-D was cheaper, both in price and in fit and feel.
The current Tiltall seems to be somewhere in between, IMHO. I can't get the
legs tight enough on my modern Tiltall -- they want to screw right off the
head up at the top. Also, the redesign of the feet was certainly a
questionable one. On my Leitz, there is no way you are going to lose a foot
but on the modern tiltall, it only seems a matter of time before one comes
unscrewed without being noticed.

- --
Rolfe Tessem
Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.