Subject: RE: [Leica] D100 photos
From: patrick jelliffe <pbjbike@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 16:16:41 -0800 (PST)

Happy Thanksgiving ALL,

What are 'Leica photos'?  Pictures taken with Leica
cameras AND lenses?  Pictures taken with Leica lenses
on non-Leica bodies?  Pictures taken with non-Leica
lenses on Leica bodies? What about Minolta
rangefinders?  From what I've gleaned in a short time
on this forum is that more than a few people are using
Voigtlander/Canon/Nikon lenses on their Leicas.  A few
have mentioned Bessa R bodies.  Lots of communication
about digital cameras that are made by Panasonic(!)
under a license with Leica. Seems like a pretty gray
landscape already.

Reminds me of the continuing intercine battle between
mountain bikers and 'roadies'.  I used to be
alternately bemused or enraged, depending on my mood,
when commuting on different bicycles over the Golden
Gate Bridge. Days when I rode my mountain bike, I
would get "the nod" or a wake ONLY from other mountain
bikers. Nobby tires were shunned by roadies, and my
waves were ignored. The very next day might find me on
my (personally built) Merlin road bike, and those same
self-righteous mountain bikers would almost never
return a wave, not recognizing me on "skinny tires",
and the roadies were all smiles. I've always
considered anyone on a bike, of any kind, a brother or
sister, and this distinction of class is truly
abhorrent.

Fellow photographers who are unobrusive, take their
work seriously, respect the history of the craft, and
are eager to learn from whatever source they can, are
also brethren. On the LUC,  maybe we should be more
concerned with artistic alliance and support rather
than drawing distinctions based on someones choice of
equipment.  Or maybe only card, (warranty), carrying
Leica owners should be allowed to be part of the LUC?

How would Oscar Bannarck feel about the SLR, to say
nothing of digital cameras?  He'd be at the forefront
of innovation now just as he was 80 years ago, and
would welcome the examination of rival technology,
tools, and debate.

Patrick