Subject: RE: [Leica] Bicycle metaphors
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 10:57:56 -0500

Hi John,

> I have no problems with your conclusions about Leica M cameras;
> however, your knowledge of bicycle frames can only be described as
> limited.

Hum.  Possibly, but I'm sure not nearly as you might believe, being I do a
lot of work with materials and am an ME...as well as built and raced bikes
for a while and even built a few frames and components.

> The materials use in frame construction cannot only be chosen
> on the basis of lightweight.

I don't recall saying that weight was the ONLY criteria for material choice.

> Lightweight is very nice but not if it punishes the rider
> over every road irregularity.

I understand the issues of rigidity.

> As to craftsmanship, there is no contest. Nothing can touch a steel
> bike with handmade lugs.

Which is more important, functional or artistic craftsmanship?  There is a
vast difference between functional craftsmanship and artistic craftsmanship,
as well as importance.  Sometimes, one can do both at the same time.

It certainly is subjective to try to claim one "art" (meaning Liecas vs
bicycles) has more "craftsmanship" than another, and I don't see how you can
claim there is no contest.  I don't see how fancy scrolling has anything to
do with making the bicycle perform any better...yes, it's nice artistic
craftsmanship...but how can you compare that to the "craftsmanship" in the
Leica mechanical and lense design as well as in the assembly?  Would you
consider some of the "limited edition" fancy doodle Leicas to have better
"craftsmanship" than a plain old version of the same camera?  Again, I'm not
quite clear how we are comparing apples to apples here...

Austin