Subject: RE: [Leica] Reflex vs. RF
From: Randy Jensen <randy@jamzcheer.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 09:20:45 -0800

<<<I could live with the fact that most of the new digital cameras feel like
toys. After all, I suspect most will be outdated long before they wear out.
But what I really find lacking in most digital SLRs is the viewfinder. I
have a difficult time paying over $2K for any SLR with a viewfinder that's
no better than that found in a $100 P&S. >>>

Part of that is that it's a "masked" 35mm focusing screen.  Most CCDs are
considerably smaller than the 35 frame, so they mask this.  Why they don't
magnify it I can't understand.  It would look so much better if it was at
least magnified to the apparent size of a standard screen.

When I read about the D100 in Shutterbug it refered to the fact that it was
built "from the ground up" to be a digital camera, but that's DEFINITELY NOT
the case with the viewfinder!!!

And yes, he paid almost $1700 for this camera, from what I understand.  And
I'm not denying the "techie" factor of it - it's an amazing tool.  I just
don't find it an amazing tool to do photography with; at least not
photography I'm proud of.  If I need to do some product shots for a web
store then it's absolutely a camera I'd use....