Subject: Re: [Leica] Is this believable?
From: "Stuart Phillips" <stuart.phillips@rcn.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 00:08:09 -0500

By coincidence I just posted on the same issue.
The subject came about through Tivo, where you get to record your programs
and then watch them without ads. Tivo clones are now proliferating and the
idea is being built into a lot of second generation devices (video
recorders, eg). Enough to make sellers of programs/advertisers worried that
this might be giving just too much power to little ol' you and me. After
all, except during the Superbowl, who is going to choose to watch ads. They
are seriously investigating ways of getting the Bush administration to make
this technology illegal (the Dems would do the same).

As for the source, two comments. The church scandal in Boston (which in
Salem seems likely to encompass tonight, diocessan knowledge of a murder? by
a married priest) was broken by the local free paper "The Phoenix", a year
behore the biggies moved in. The President of the University that I work at
has shielded his serial killer brother for years against the two large
papers in town. Sometimes you can't choose where you get the news.