Subject: Re: [Leica] Reflex vs. RF
From: "Frank Farmer"<frankandaubrey@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 10:48:00 -0500

Tom,

Maybe I'm off base, I haven't been on the list long, but I don't think you'd
find very many people that would disagree with you about it being the image
that counts.  The RF or any other body for that matter is only a tool to reach
that goal.  However, I think that many people on the list, including myself,
enjoy the mechanical process of making an image plus the history of the Leica
system.  Not to say that automation is bad - I know that it is not and I
thoroughly enjoyed my F100 and 20-35 2.8 combo.  It was certainly a wonderful
set-up.  But as I mentioned earlier this week, I enjoy the process.  And for
me, (stress - "for me") that includes setting the aperture and the shutter
speed and focusing and, ack, advancing the film too.  Perhaps the M7 may erode
this process a bit with the little automation that it posesses (having not
used one I'm not qualified to comment on it in an educated manner).  However,
I think my point is that going throught the motions of photography involves a
certian number of decisions.  I like to make those decisions so that I can
learn from my mistakes.  I often found that automation hindered that process
because I didn't know what happend from a setting and technical standpoint
when I tripped the shutter release.  Oh well.  Mind you, I just shoot for fun,
no I don't support myself doing this - perhaps my opinion would change in that
case - I find that they often change for no apparant reason at all.  :-}
Anyway, happy snaps to all and to all a good night, er, day.

Frank