Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: The endless nonsense about film vs. digital
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 19:36:49 -0500

Hi Jim,

> My 20x24 & 30x40 optical prints are sharper (they're dead sharp!)
> than the
> same film, scanned on a Tango drum scanner (300mb files), and
> printed on a
> LightJet printer.

The LightJet prints are spectacular.  The issue I have with the LightJet is
it's only 200 PPI output, though it is "continuous" tone.  The Piezo output
can take advantage of up to 720 PPI to the printer, so for B&W, I'd still
say the Piezo output is going to be sharper than the LightJet.

Now, as far as comparing chemical prints to inkjet, well, I don't believe
that chemical prints can sustain the resolution of an inkjet.  I did know
the exact data at one time, but I don't recall it off the top of my head,
but I seem to remember that chemical prints can sustain much usable
resolution over 160 lines/inch (80 lp/inch).  Does anyone have any links to
"factual" information on the sustainable resolution of photochemical paper?

Regards,

Austin

Replies: Reply from Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com> (RE: [Leica] RE: The endless nonsense about film vs. digital)