Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: The endless nonsense about film vs. digital
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 16:58:43 -0800

Jim Brick wrote:

> The optical prints look "alive". The LightJet prints look very good,
> but there is a telling difference.

Jim, if I recall correctly, you are making the optical prints yourself while
the computer work for the LightJet prints is done by the lab... correct?
I'd think a better comparison would be lab optical print vs. lab computer
work for the LightJet print.

I'm suggesting that your skill level in the darkroom combined with your
interpretation of the original chrome may be why you get superior optical
prints, not because of the technology.  If your digital darkroom skills were
on a level with your darkroom skills you'd have a valid basis for
comparison.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com