Subject: [Leica] Nachtwey in war photographer
From: "John David Emmett" <jemmett@frontier.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 11:25:42 -0700

I rarely get baited into these kind of discussions but I just had to say
that DS's notes on Nachtwey are petty, inaccurate and small minded, to be
kind about it.
To call his discussion with his printer browbeating is the biggest
misrepresentation of a conversation I could imagine. They talked quietly and
civilly. You could tell that they are both perfectionists and wanted to get
the most out of the print.
Anyone who judges someone else solely based on how they come off in a movie
might be a little hasty in their judgement. I'm sure Mr. Nachtwey isn't
fretting at home about not having the good fortune to meet Dante.
And lastly, if you think his subjects are too distracted to notice him, I
suggest you go to Kosovo, Rwanda, Afghanistan, etc. and stick a 16-35mm in
the face of a grieving family or armed soldiers and see the response you
get. It ain't as easy as it looks.
Anyone who appreciates good photography respects Nachtwey for what he is: an
amazing photojournalist with immense drive, talent and dedication.
Anyway, you do yourself a disservice by being so petty, condescending and
critical.
John David

NO ARCHIVE