Subject: RE: [Leica] digital results
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 12:22:58 -0500

Don't bet on getting it "very cheap in a year's time." One, I'm going to
guess that you aren't going to see any major jumps in resolution from
the 11-14 meg range for a while - although I could, of course, be wrong;
and, two, with cameras at the 11-14 meg range, most photographers will
not feel the need to immediately trade in their equipment to jump to the
next level - at least not for resolution, which at the present high end
exceeds the needs of people shooting for newspapers, magazines, and most
print uses. Obviously, if there are vast improvements in color
rendition, low light sensitivity, etc., and number of high resolution
frames that can be shot per second, that could effect things. But I
suspect the days of regular annual or 18 month trade-ins may be coming
to an end.

And "ugly?" Who cares. The R8 is uuuuuuugly, but its fans love it - and
even think it's beautiful. ;-) The question is not, "what does it look
like?" The question is, "what do the images it produces look like?" At
least I thought that was what photography was all about. :-)

B. D.