Subject: [Leica] b/w and color
From: "Wesson, Leo W" <LWWesson@pier1.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 10:49:56 -0600

Gang,

I am curious what all goes into your decision to shoot black and white or color.  I have noticed that some of the group works only in b/w, some only in color and some in both.

What is your thought process in this decision?

Myself, I grew up shooting b/w, a fan of Ansel, Edward, Minor and HCB.  I eventually began shooting all in color due to lack of time and lack of darkroom space.  When I got my M6 and 7,  I started out shooting color; but partially with the influence of the fine b/w work of this group I have started shooting b/w again, lab processed, electronic darkroom.  I find myself thinking a lot about why and when I use color and or black and white and find the decision process overwhelming.  Color, because film is always available and pretty much fool proof: b/w, because I miss the tones and the mystery of what is not said in the image.  B/w has a timeless and classic property that color does not.  But I really love a good color shot too.  I have a hard time doing both.  Can't see both ways at the same time.  I could never carry a camera loaded with b/w and one loaded with color.  That would be like having too many lenses to choose from.

Thoughts?

Leo

Replies: Reply from Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au> (Re: [Leica] b/w and color)