Subject: [Leica] Re: OT Digital topics
From: "Sal DiMarco,Jr." <sdmp007@pressroom.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 11:54:54 -0500

Luggers,
    A couple of things about the Kodak 14 megapixel camera. The chip is made
either by Kodak itself, or by a company which it owns. It is their chip. It
is not vaporware, the cameras are being shipped. It is not a journalist's
camera. It buffers up quickly, and the shutter delay is a bit to long for
sports work. At least, that's the feeling I got working with the camera.
    As, I remember it, Kodak wasn't really excited about licensing the chip
to anyone as yet. It might be awhile before one sees it in a Nikon branded
camera. The 22 million pixel Sinar chip is Kodak made, and Sinar wanted
exclusive licensing rights and paid for them...
    Also, I think Canon's didn't drop the pricing on their 1d, because they
realize, the price difference (about $4,000.--) isn't the deciding factor.
    Think about it, If you were a Canon user, and had a full set of lenses.
21mm thru 400mm f/2.8 or a 600mm f/4, would you buy the Nikon mount Kodak
camera and buy a new set of lenses, or would you spend the extra money and
stick with Canon and keep your lenses?
Happy Snaps & Holidays,
Sal

Sal DiMarco, Jr.