Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: OT digital products
From: John Nebel <nebel@csdco.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 08:25:35 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Austin Franklin wrote:

> Sal,
>
> > Luggers,
> >     Several people have questioned my statement, that the 14
> > Megapixel chip
> > is Kodak owned.
> >     While, I do not know what Kodak's stake is in FillFactory, my guess is
> > it is large.
>
> Where do you get information to conclude Kodak has ANY monetary "stake" in
> FillFactory?
>
> >     In the news release Austin pointed too is.... and I quote....
> >     "This new device is an exclusive development for Kodak and will
> > therefore not be offered as a standard FillFactory product. However,
> > FillFactory can develop similar imaging devices for other interested third
> > parties."
> >     To me, this means there is proprietary "stuff" (my technical term) in
> > this device and Kodak controls the rights to it not FillFactory.
>
> Perhaps, but perhaps not.  What it typically means, in engineering land, is
> Kodak paid for the development of (NRE - Non-Recurring Engineering) this
> specific "configuration", and they simply won't offer it as a standard
> product.  This doesn't mean there is anything "proprietary", per se...as the
> technology used to "design" this sensor is pretty much canned process for
> FillFactory.  What FillFactory does, is take the building blocks they have
> developed and put them together in the configuration the customer asks for.
>
> Austin
>
> --

Austin,

There is a new color pigmentation available
(http://www.sinar.ch/down/sup/SB54_e.pdf) which Kodak probably
owns.  Likely they would want to use it in new chips.

Presumably there are whole bunch of different proprietary elements with
different owners, including the fabricator, Tower Semiconductor.

The lawyers must be having fun!

Regards,

John Nebel