Subject: Re: [Leica] Film vs Digital
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 12:24:34 -0800

Patrick,
For leisure travel, I much prefer to shoot film in an M camera.  No
chargers, big battery packs, computers, satcoms, etc.  With just your
backpack for personal items, plus a small satchel with a couple of M6s, and
you can work quite happily for an extended period of time away from
civilization.  If you're shooting digital for pleasure while traveling, you
might consider one of those MindStor devices, which are small storage
devices with hard disks built in for storing your photos.  Take two and back
up to both, in case one fails.  Alternately, you could take a computer and
burn CDs or DVDs on the road.  Then, simply take enough media for your
camera to last a day or so and download every evening.

My experience with shooting digital on assignment has been for online
publications, and I can attest to the fact that digital is a pain in the a**
for travel.  First, the pro cameras are huge, and you will need at least
two.  Then there are the chargers, battery packs, two computers (one as
backup), and all the various wires and AC adapters you need for that gear.
If work in remote areas, just managing batteries is a challenge.  Plus, you
are usually shooting digital because you are required to submit your work
from the field, and that means you will also have an mini m satphone, plus
all the junk that requires.  I have a digital assignment coming up and I'm
already dreading having to travel with all that stuff.

Digital photography has certain advantages in our world, where instant
gratification is so highly prized.  And I can also see where digital is a
great boon to daily press photographers.  But it has not added anything of
value to my photography per se - just complications.  I wish it had never
been invented.

Hrrumph!

- --Jim