Subject: [Leica] b&w or color?
From: "Oliver Bryk" <oliverbryk@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 14:13:55 -0800

The question posed by one of our correspondents, "b&w or color?"
prompted me to make a quick mental review of my preferences. Thinking
back over many decades of photography, I have quite consistently chosen
b&w as the default, and color (negative) when there was a reason to do
use it.
My medium format and 35mm landscape work in the US is predominantly b&w,
as are the occasional candids. I use color for what I loosely call
"travel photography", especially overseas where the color content is
often an integral element of the visual story and I carry only one M6.
Less than ten percent of the images shot in color were more interesting
in grayscale, i.e., after desaturating in Photoshop.
Since most of my travels in the western US are by Jeep and by foot, I
take either 2 M6s or the MF with 2 film backs on the road. For day hikes
I'll pack one body and film combination since I usually know what I'll
be working on.

Oliver Bryk