Subject: Re: [Leica] Alert ! Leica-Camera France : complete stock stolen.
From: "Don R." <don.ro@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:05:07 -0600

In the mid-1960's I sent, via Railway Express, two M-3's and a number of
Leica lenses to Chicago but along the way they were stolen.  They never
turned up. No internet then.

Repair shops and dealers should post these numbers where they may be checked
anytime used equipment is presented for repair or sale.

Purchasers should be aware that merely buying stolen goods from someone does
not remove the rightful claim of ownership and the unsuspecting purchaser
may wind up paying for the goods only to lose them back to the rightful
owner. Much depends on the law where the various transactions took place but
buying stolen merchandise is risky business.

Just maybe with the internet these stolen goodies will return to the
rightful owner's hands.

If there were a "clearing house" of serial numbers of stolen Leica cameras
and lenses, one could quickly check it before plunking down good money for
stolen goods.

Don R.