Subject: [Leica] Re: Opinions on the Performance of the Tele-Elmarit - M 90 f2.8 Lens?
From: "tlianza" <tlianza@sequelimaging.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 23:26:16 -0500

Hi All,

I was puzzled when I read these two comments about flare in the TE. Whenever
I travel, I take that lens and it has never let me down

> Hi Greg: I have the Tele-Elmarit and if you use it when the light is soft
> and even, it works great, the problem begins when you have very bright
areas
> near the picture zone, because then you get  flare, and I use the lens
hood.
> So there it is my experience with the lens.
> If you do not get flare, the performance is acceptable, good definition,
> sharp enough.
> What I like is the size and the price.

> Forget shooting contre-jour with it. It'll flare out like nobody's
business.
> The new Elmarit-M blows it out of the water as though it was hit by a
> double barrel blast.
> I even prefer shooting  with the Elmar over that F2.8.

Here are two images taken last month off the northen coast of California
around sunset.
http://www.tlianza.com/90mmTE.htm

As far as sharpness, it compares very favorably (particularly on axis) with
my 90mm f2 summicron (pre -ASPH). As a matter of fact, after about three
rolls of side by side images on negative and transparency media, I decided
the weight of the Summicron just didn't justify carting it around. (The
performance of the 75mm Summilux DOES justify carting it around...)  From
what I understand the Elmarit-M is a phenomenal lens, but in my opinion,
this little guy carries his own weight (which is very light by the way) and
they are very reasonably priced (for a leica lens.....)

As far as flare and internal reflections, the two images didn't show that
tendency.  I had no lens hood on for either image but I did have a filter
because the wind was rather strong and the sand was beating the equipment.

Tom Lianza
Technical Director
Sequel Imaging Inc.
25 Nashua Rd.